Home Departments

Frequently Asked Questions About Personal Property Listing

Q: I no longer own this vehicle; do I have to pay taxes for the entire year?


A: If you no longer own the vehicle for which you received a tax bill, the bill can be prorated if the Assessor’s Office has documentation of what happened to the vehicle. With the correct documentation, the value for the amount of months remaining on the license plate can be released or refunded from the tax bill. Please return NCDMV License Plate Receipt along with the following documents. If you have transferred your plate, you should pay the current tax bill. The system will pick up the new vehicle when the plate is renewed.

  • If vehicle has been Sold to Individual - *A Notarized Bill of Sale or New Owner Registration
  • If vehicle has been Sold or Traded to Dealership - *A Bill of Sale on Letterhead or Trade Contract
  • If vehicle has been Repossessed - *A Letter of Repossession from Finance Co. identifying VIN # of vehicle.
  • If vehicle has been Junked – *A Statement from Salvage Company stating junked and identifying VIN # of vehicle.
  • If vehicle has been deemed a Total Loss –*A letter from Insurance Agency stating “Total Loss” identifying VIN # of vehicle.
  • If vehicle has been Registered in Another State – *A copy of Registration from that State identifying VIN# of vehicle.
Q: How do I cancel my NC LICENSE PLATE?

A: To cancel your NC License Plate, Click on the Link Below


When you enter the website, scroll down to Application for Plate Turn in Verification (MVR-18A). Print the form, complete and mail to the following address to cancel your Plate. Once the plate has been cancelled and the Assessor’s office has proof of what happened to the vehicle, your tax bill can be prorated. If you need further help canceling your plate, you may call the DMV Raleigh Help Line @ 919.715.7000.

Mail and Distribution Unit
3148 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, NC 27699

Q: How can I have the value on my vehicle adjusted?

A: Disagreements in vehicle values must be appealed within 30 days of the billing date on the tax bill. If you wish to appeal the value, the vehicle must be taken to two reputable car dealerships to obtain two vehicle appraisals. The appraisals must be at the fair market value as of January 01 of the current year. The appraisals must be written on company letterhead paper or on the Vehicle Appraisal Form which can be found on this website. NADA Values can be accepted with verification of odometer reading. Kelly Blue Book  values cannot be accepted since they do not reflect a January 1 value.

Vehicle Appraisal Form

Q: If I move to another County, what should I do about my tax bill?

A: The County that you lived in when the plate was renewed is the county which should bill you for motor vehicle taxes. If you receive a tax bill from a county that you were not in when the plate was renewed, you should contact the Assessor’s office in the county that you currently live in. The Assessor’s Office can process a county change so that you will receive a tax bill from the correct county. The next time that you renew your plate, the DMV will pick up the correct address. Three months later, you should receive a tax bill from the correct county.

Q: I do not live in the city limits, etc. Why is my tax bill incorrect?

A: The physical location of your vehicle when the plate was renewed is how you should be billed for motor vehicle taxes. If your vehicle was not in the city limits at the time of renewal, please contact the Assessor’s Office so that your bill can be corrected.

Q: I am a Senior Citizen and 65 years old. I am disabled. Is there a way to lower my taxes?

A: To qualify for Senior Citizen / Disability Property Tax Relief for 2009, the applicant must provide proof of income for 2008 and meet the following criteria:

  • You must be at least 65 years old on January 01 of the year in which you are applying or permanently and totally disabled.
  • You must me a permanent North Carolina Resident.
  • Your total income for 2008 should not exceed $25,600. This includes all joint income, bank interest, etc.
  • If you are disabled, a Disability Form should be completed.

Certificate of Disability (Doctor's Form)

Property Tax Relief Application (for qualified Elderly of Disabled, Disabled Veterans or Circuit Breaker Deferment Program participants)

Exemption Checklist for Elderly Disabled


Other Exclusions:

Circuit Breaker:  Property Tax Deferment for residents of Haywood Co who are 65 or older, or permanently and totally disabled with income not exceeding $38,400. The applicant must have owned property and occupied their residence for the last five calendar years prior to January 01 of the current year, for which this application is made.


How does the Circuit Breaker affect the Property Tax Bill?

  • If your income for tax year 2010 was $27,100 or less, then the Owner’s property tax bill would be limited to 4% of the Owner’s Income.
  • If your income for tax year 2010 was more than $27,100, but does not exceed $40,650, then the Owner’s property tax bill would be limited  to 5% of the Owner’s Income.
  • Deferred taxes are a lien on your property.
  • Upon disqualification, the three most current years of deferred taxes become due and payable with interest.

Disabled Veteran Exclusion: A permanent residence owned and occupied by an owner who is a North Carolina resident and who is an honorably discharged disabled veteran or the unmarried surviving spouse of an honorably discharged disabled veteran is designated a special class of property…The first $45,000 of appraised value of the residence is excluded from taxation.


Criteria to qualify:

  • No age requirement
  • No income requirement
  • Must be permanent resident (house and not to exceed 1 acre of land) for property on which you are applying
  • Application must be filed by June 1 for the year applying
  • An owner who receives benefits under this exclusion may not receive any other property tax relief
  • Must be a honorably discharged disabled veteran (not discharged under honorable conditions
  • Disability must be service connected or receives benefits for specially adapted housing
  • Must be 100% totally and permanently disabled
  • Must be proven with a veteran’s disability certification from the VA or evidence must be presented of benefits received for specially adapted housing under 38 U.S.C. 2101

    Certification of Disability (Doctor's Form)
    Certification for Disabled Veteran's Property Tax Exclusion
    Property Tax Relief Application (for qualified Elderly of Disabled, Disabled Veterans or Circuit Breaker Deferment Program participants)
Q: I live in another state part of the year. I am not here when tax bills are mailed out? What address should I use?



A: The Assessor’s office can only use one address for the tax bill for each account. You can let us know which address you choose to have your tax bill mailed to. To change your address, please call the Assessor’s office at 828 452-6640. Motor vehicle tax bills are mailed to the mailing address which NCDMV has on file.

Q: What is an abstract?



A: An abstract is the document on which the property of a taxpayer is listed for ad valorem taxation and on which the appraised and assessed values of the property are recorded.

Q. I sold Personal Property. Do I still owe the taxes for this year?


A. If you owned personal property as of January 1st, and then sold the property, you would still be responsible for the taxes for the current year. If sold before January 01, of the current year, a bill of sale should be provided or the new owner must list the property in their name in order for the Assessor’s office to release the bill.

Q: My boat/camper is located in another county, etc. Which county should I list taxes in?

A: According to the Machinery Act of NC Statue 105-304 Tangible Personal Property is taxable at the place at which the property is situated. This means that you would list and pay taxes where the property is located.

Q: Why do I have to pay a landfill fee? I do not use the dumpsters.

A: The landfill fee ordinance was adopted by Haywood County Commissioners originally in 1992. The ordinance states that every livable unit in Haywood County should pay a landfill fee. The waste that is produced by your dwelling eventually ends up in the landfill. The landfill fee covers all solid waste expenditures.

Q: Can I pay my tax bill online or over the phone?

A: Online Payments can be made on our website at www.haywoodnc.net Credit Card Payments: Visa, MaterCard, Discover, and American Express payments accepted by telephone only at 1-877-729-8290. There is a three percent fee for use of this service, which applies to debit or credit cards. The County receives only the tax amount.


Q: I have a block on my tag and cannot renew my tag. What should I do?

A: If you are unable to renew your plate due to a tax block being placed on your tag, contact the Assessors Office at 828-452-6640. Tax blocks are placed on a tag when taxes for that vehicle have not been paid. Our office can determine if the block is in error, if the bill should have been prorated, or if the bill should be paid in full. Once this has been determined and any taxes paid, the tax block will be removed.

Q: I paid taxes on my vehicle when I bought the car. Why do I have to pay taxes again now?

A: North Carolina sales tax is paid on your vehicle when you purchase a vehicle. Haywood County Personal Property Tax is a separate tax based on the value of your vehicle. Personal Property tax covers your tag registration period.

Q: I just bought my car. I didn’t think I had to pay taxes until the end of the year!

A: For a registered motor vehicle with a tag, county personal property taxes shall be due on the first day of the fourth month following the last day of the month in which the new registration is applied for. For example: If you renew your plate in June, county personal property tax would be due October 1st.

Q: What is the tax rate for the county and my fire district?

A: Each year before the new fiscal year begins in July, the Commissioners set the county tax rate. The townships set their tax rate and the fire districts, sanitary districts and road maintenance rates are set. The rates for the district(s) you are billed for should appear on your bill. If you wish to have a detailed list of the tax rates for each district, please contact the Assessor’s Office at 452-6640.

Q: My vehicle tax bill is on the wrong account, can you fix it?

A: Sometimes vehicles inadvertently get placed on a wrong account. This may be a system or operator error. Either way, our office wants to make every effort to make sure this doesn’t happen and correct the mistake. If your vehicle bill is on an incorrect account, please contact our office before you pay the bill so that the error can be corrected.

Q: Where do I mail my tax payment to?

A: You may mail your payment to the Charlotte address which is included in your bill, or it can be mailed to our local office at the following address:

Haywood County Tax Collector
215 North Main St
Waynesville, NC 28786


Q: My camper is tagged in another state. Why should I have to pay taxes in Haywood County?

A: If you have a camper which is located in a Haywood County campground brought to our attention per a park owner, and it also has an out of state tag on the vehicle, you would still be required to pay Haywood County taxes on the camper. According to North Carolina Law GS 105-304 and the NC Department of Revenue - Tangible personal property owned by an individual non-resident of this State is taxable at the place in this State at which the property is situated.

*If you have a question that was not answered on this page, please contact our office at 828-452-6640 so that your question may be addressed.