Canton was originally Cherokee Indian Territory. A post office first opened here in 1837 and the community at the time was named Pigeon River.
The Haywood County Public Information Office is located in the Administrative Offices on the third floor of the Haywood County Courthouse, 215 N. Main Street. Waynesville, NC 28786. Send questions or comments to
, or call 828.452.7305.
Public Comment Guidelines for County Commissioner Meetings - The Board of County Commissioners meets on the first and third Mondays of each month at 9 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. respectively. Meetings are held in the Historic Courtroom of the Haywood County Courthouse, located at 215 N. Main Street, Waynesville.