Stephen King, Director
278 Recycle Road
Clyde, NC 28721
Phone: (828) 627-8042
Fax: (828) 627-8137
The Haywood County Solid Waste Management Department operates 10 collection "convenience" centers, a Materials Recovery Facility, and the White Oak Landfill. The 10 collection convenience centers collect household waste plus recyclables.
The collection centers are staffed from 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. See below for a specific schedule for each site. Residential solid waste is accepted at each center in compactors.
All recyclable materials may be placed in either the blue or green bins located at each convenience center. The recyclables are hauled from the centers to our Materials Recovery Facility, where the materials are separated and baled. Haywood County Solid Waste Management markets the materials. Recycling protects our environment and prolongs the life of the landfill.
Recycling in Haywood County
Items accepted for recycling are:
- Aluminum cans
- Batteries - Place batteries in a plastic bag and hand them to a Convenience Center attendant
- Catalogs, magazines, newspapers, telephone books, third class mail and other paper products, such as grocery bags
- Corrugated cardboard and household cardboard boxes (cereal, cracker, cake mix)
- Plastic bottles and jugs (#s 1 through 7)
- Steel cans
- Clear, green and amber glass bottles and jars
- Used electronics, including old computers, monitors, printers and keyboards, VCRs and DVD players, small peripherals (such as cameras, PDAs and other devices that can be plugged into a computer), phone equipment, video/audio equipment, network equipment and test equipment.. THESE PRODUCTS ARE ONLY ACCEPTED AT MATERIALS RECOVERY CENTER, NOT AT CONVENIENCE CENTERS.
Used motor oil is also accepted at all 10 convenience centers.
Click here for tips on how to prepare recyclables
Haywood County Sustainability Efforts - The county adopted its first Sustainability Plan in January 2009. Find out more about what we're doing and how you can helo.
Convenience Center Locations & Hours
The collection centers are located in the rural areas of the county and serve approximately 36,000 people.
The locations and regular hours are:
- Bethel Hwy. 276 - Next to Bethel School - Open 7:00 - 5:00; Closed Thursday, Sunday
- Beaverdam North Canton Road - Next to Fire Station - Open 7:00 - 5:00; Closed Thursday, Sunday
- Cruso Hwy. 276 - Next to Fire Station - Open M-W-F-S 7:00 - 5:00; Closed T-Th-Su
- 110 Hwy. I 10 - Outside Canton City Limits - Open 7:00 - 5:00; Closed Tuesday, Sunday
- 209 Hwy. 209 - North past Pilot Truck Stop - Open 7:00 - 5:00; Closed Tuesday, Sunday
- Jonathan Creek Hwy. 276 - Exit 20 off I-40 - Open 7:00 - 5:00; Closed Thursday, Sunday
- Fines Creek Fines Creek Rd. - Exit 15 off 1-40 M-W-F-S 7:00 - 5:00; Closed T-Th-Su
- Jones Cove next to Materials Recovery Facility - Open 7:00-5:00, Closed Thursday, Sunday
- Hazelwood Hemlock Street, Waynesville - Open 7:00 - 5:00; Closed Thursday, Sunday
- Mauney Cove Mauney Cove Rd., Off Hwy. 276 - Open 7:00 - 5:00; Closed Tuesday, Sunday
Materials Recovery Facility
Haywood County opened its Materials Recovery Facility on October 8, 1993. The Materials Recovery Facility is located on Recycle Road in Clyde, N.C. and operates Monday through Saturday, 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Residential and nonresidential waste comes through our Materials Recovery Facility.
Materials accepted at the Materials Recovery Facility are residential trash, commercial waste, industrial waste, appliances, furniture, carpet, mattresses and bedsprings, and metals. Special waste collected at our Materials Recovery Facility are tires and lead-acid batteries. Antifreeze is collected at the Hazelwood Convenience Center Site.
A $55 per ton tipping fee is collected at our Materials Recovery Facility on all commercial and industrial waste. There are no tipping fees on regular household waste hauled into our Materials Recovery Facility. No tipping fees are charged for tires or appliances. Construction and Demolition materials must be hauled to the White Oak Landfill.
White Oak Landfill
Our White Oak landfill which is a subtitle D landfill is located at Exit 15 - Interstate 40 off of White Oak Road. We began operation of this facility October 8, 1993. The White Oak Landfill operates Monday through Saturday 7:30 A.M. till 3:30 P.M. Loads that come in that are not on a dump bed need to be in the landfill by 3:00 p.m.
White Oak Landfill recieves clean wood, brush, leaves, pallets, blocks-brick-concrete, uncontaminated dirt, asphalt and stumps at a cost of $55.00 per ton. Our construction and demolition landfill accepts shingles, painted/treated wood and sheet rock at $55.00 per ton. Dead animals are also accepted at this location at a cost of $55.00 per ton with a minimum charge of $5.
The Materials Recovery Facility, White Oak Landfill and the nine Convenience Centers will be closed on the following holidays:
- New Year's Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Memorial Day (White Oak Landfill only)
- Thanksgiving Day
- Christmas Day