Test your home for radon

Free Radon test kits are available from Cooperative Extension while quantities last.

Radon is a naturally occurring radioactive gas that is invisible, odorless, and tasteless gas.  It is released harmlessly from the ground into outdoor air, but it can accumulate and reach harmful levels when trapped in homes and buildings. Scientists have long been concerned about the health risks of radon, but never before has there been such overwhelming proof that exposure to elevated levels of radon causes lung cancer in humans.

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency estimates that radon is responsible for more than 21,000 lung cancer deaths per year in the United States. Radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer in the U.S. after smoking and the leading cause of lung cancer among non-smokers. Since radon does not have an odor and is invisible, people tend to downplay the health effects and ignore the possibility that there might be a silent killer within the walls of their home.

Contact Jean Burton at This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it or 456-3575 for a test kit or more information.